Strange DHCP6 requests

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Dec 14 01:03:02 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 03:56:52AM +0200, Max Tulyev wrote:
> What's going wrong?

Nothing. DHCPv6 uses the concept of DUID (Device Unique Identifier)
to identify an endpoint. This DUID _may_ be constructed from a MAC
address, but there are other options. See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3315#section-9 - specifically you're
expecting DUID-LL (chapter 9.4).

> How it can be fixed?

In the DOCSIS world, operators ask the CPE vendors to use MAC address
for DUID construction in order to be able to correlate DHCPv4 and DHCPv6
identities.

> We made a patch that tries MAC address of the request (not MAC-like ID)
> go through the DHCP server's config file, like the ID. But I feel it is
> something extra going on, and our way can be wrong?

I can't follow?!

Best regards,
Daniel