Anarchy in the UK?

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 17:55:32 CET 2012

On 12 Dec 2012, at 11:53, Tim Chown wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2012, at 11:46, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
>
>> On 12/12/2012 11:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
>>> Let me just delurk and say that I'm slightly surprised no one has
>>> commented
>>> on this rather depressing news.  Perhaps it was just too obvious.
>>
>> I don't think it's a disaster.  People didn't choose IP over the
>> OSI stack
>> because their government hopped on the IP bandwagon.
>
> That was a very different thing though.

I've been trying to work exactly how it was different.  In the US
people chose IP(v4) because, courtesy of the government, it mostly
came free.  OSI generally didn't and had a significant cost, GOSIP
notwithstanding, in both capex and opex.  IPv6 uptake is beginning to
be free of capex in endsystems and some network kit.  It still has
some capex and still has significant opex.

> 6UK has received more publicity by shutting down than it ever
> achieved while active. Which may ironically turn out to be a
> positive thing, in that the topic gets more coverage and discussion.

I think that's probably true.

Sam

Sam Wilson
Network Team, IT Infrastructure
Information Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.