Anybody behind a NAT64?

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Sun Dec 9 17:10:01 CET 2012

Yes, it's unsolved.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-behave-dns64-config
enumerates a bunch of solutions, none of which is works as well as
necessary.

> Still didn't find time (and motivation) to write up my approach
> of using an EDNS "DNS64 desired" flag signalling. :)

That idea one is not in the above Internet Draft.  If I get the energy,
I'll edit the document and include your idea.  I think your idea has some
good properties.

(for background, I was originally trying to find a way to accomplish the
goal of both dual-stack and IPv6-only hosts on the same network without
changing either host.  I think that can't be made to work, so we have to
look at changing the legacy (dual-stack) hosts or the new (IPv6-only)
hosts.  Changing the legacy is effectively impossible.  Changing the
IPv6-only hosts is still within the realm of possible.)

-d