IPv6 Firewall on CPEs - Default on or off

Christopher Palmer Christopher.Palmer at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 6 07:47:50 CET 2012

NetBios is still alive and kicking (UDP 138). If you turn on file and print sharing, it'll sit there and listen for link-local traffic. We also support LLMNR for name resolution, and WSD. And SSDP. You can see the firewall rules in the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security panel, though most are deactivated unless you use the feature.

Network firewalls are a complex topic. I'll say, that the number of times I encounter someone saying "I love my home router's in-box firewall capability" is pretty low. As the number of situations where a network firewall was the primary defense for a consumer Windows device (since Windows 7 at least). There are a reasonable number of warning messages you have to go through to open up an anonymous file share these days.  To open a file share BEYOND link-local traffic, requires even more configuration.

The number of times I've encountered a home router breaking a scenario or service that the user cares about, like gaming, is plentiful.