What's a CGN

Philipp Kern phil at philkern.de
Wed Dec 5 12:43:08 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 11:25:54AM +0000, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> Aside from the fact that CGN hardware is by orders of magnitude more
> expensive than commodity hardware running Linux in software, it is
> also special-purpose hardware built for a fixed job.
>
> As long as you can do your local NAT implementation on a cheap Linux
> box, you can repurpose it once the NAT traffic goes down.  When we
> talk CGN, you eventually throw some seriously expensive but by then
> obsolete hardware away.

Given that we do that on Cisco ASAs, on the biggest gear we can get,
it's not that different, actually. At least from our budget point of
view. But I guess the main point you're making is that CGN modules
cannot do anything else than CGN, while ASAs can be repurposed as
firewalls at another less congested point of the network.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern