IPv6 Firewall on CPEs - Default on or off

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Tue Dec 4 11:51:54 CET 2012

Hi everybody,

sorry for the delay, things were rather busy the last couple days.
Just to sum this up:

Philipp Kern <phil at philkern.de> writes:

> [Assorted whining about being stuck behind a mandatory firewall deleted]

>> So, your reason to have a configurable diode style setup disabled by
>> default at some other place is because at your place they didn't
>> make it configurable at all?
>>
>> Sorry, but this is ridiculous.
>
> You think? Can you tell me how to make it configurable given that we do not
> have any relationship with the end users at all? I'd be happy to set something
> up that lets users whitelist their IPs, but as it is, only very few are able to
> provide routed subnets to their students. The others use one large broadcast
> domain where all users are stuffed into. The source IPv6 might then be a
> privacy address, or some sort of static IPv6 or a SLAAC one. So it's highly
> unclear to me how to whitelist them.

Let me spell it out once again: Ragnar has a setup as a consumer ISP
where customers *do* have an option to turn a diode-style filter
configuration on or off.  His question was what to set the
configuration to by default.

That has *nothing* to do with your issues.  Still you claim your
entirely unrelated problems to be of relevance to Ragnar's question.

If you really want to continue discussing *your* issues, please do so
in a separate thread.

> [More whining deleted]
>> CGN at carrier grade bandwidths is an entirely different league in
>> pretty much any respect.
>
> True. It's not that 1G/1G CGN would be hard with Linux hardware of any sort.

I'll quote you on that one.  You realize what the "CG" in CGN stands for?

Benedikt

--
			 Business Grade IPv6
		    Consulting, Training, Projects