Current Consensus on IPv6 Customer Allocation Size

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Aug 31 21:43:36 CEST 2012

The reall issue isn't how many subnets, and your right no one wants to
manage them.

So, If we can agree there is some likely hood of more than one subnet,
then the question is how many bit do you need for a algorithmic
allocation scheme for the devices to automatically pick their subnets.
Eight bits is more than enough for a human to manage putting all the
subnets of almost any house in.  But, we just said no one want to manage
it.  So eight bits is kind of small for algorithmic scheme that would
cover +95% of the possibilities.  Its a lot tougher problem than most
people relise, it doesn't seem like it should be but it is.  There is a
lot just wired into our brains, that makes it easy for a human to adapt
to the conditions, but algorithmic approches frequently aren't all that
adaptable.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952