Dear Akamai, you got a /32 there not a bunch of /48s - how to break Facebook and annoy lots of users

Marco Hogewoning mchlist at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 21 13:00:16 CEST 2012

> In RIPE land, if you get a block of addresses out of another LIR's PA
> allocation for your node, it's by definition an assignment. The status
> field in the RIPE db will be saying «ASSIGNED PA» - unless the LIR opted
> not to register the assignment in the db at all, which is allowed for
> assignment up to and including /48. It's still an assignment, though.

I have to correct you there, that is no longer the case. Current policy text says:

"When an organisation holding an IPv6 address allocation makes IPv6 address assignments, it must register these assignments in the appropriate RIR database."

There is no provision for not registering assignments of size X. The only thing you can do is group them. You can have one object that represents a (large) number of assignments.

Marco
(In his role as author of this policy change)