Dear Akamai, you got a /32 there not a bunch of /48s - how to break Facebook and annoy lots of users

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Aug 20 18:46:43 CEST 2012

On 2012-08-20 18:41, Philipp Kern wrote:
> Jeroen,
>
> am Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 06:17:24PM +0200 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
>> In reference to https://www.sixxs.net/tickets/?msg=tickets-7640234
>> In other words it makes things "sometimesnot work"....
>> Announcing /48s will get filtered and this randomly breaks stuff.
[..]
> I do see the covering aggregate and in [1] to which you answered an Akamai
> employee said that it's supposed to be announced.

Yes, the covering is there too and likely tries to capture some packets,
but clearly not all of them as for the other route they disappear in
/dev/null.

> What's the problem with those more specific?

That the specific /32 mentioned is a PA prefix and should not have more
specifics at all. Unless the meaning and name of PA is changed to just
be "block of addresses" instead of containing the word "Aggregated".

But primarily at the moment: it breaks things in very very funny ways.

> Aren't they reachable through the covering aggregate, too?
> (I cannot test because my peers accept the specifics.)

I honestly have no idea what goes wrong, as I cannot see the traceroute
from the side of Akamai...

Greets,
 Jeroen