Dear Akamai, you got a /32 there not a bunch of /48s - how to break Facebook and annoy lots of users

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Aug 20 18:42:34 CEST 2012

On 2012-08-20 18:37, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 20/08/2012 17:17, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> Announcing /48s will get filtered and this randomly breaks stuff.
>>
>> One would think that Akamai had enough moneyz to pay everybody to accept
>> those /48s into their or at least then to get a disjunct /32...
>>
>> Dear Akamai: It is a PA prefix as in AGGREGATED...
>
> Jeroen,
>
> I'm counting ~800 prefixes in the DMZ for Akamai's v4 requirements.

(s/DMZ/DFZ/ I guess ;)

Most of those are out of PA space that is announced inside the ISP that
that prefix is living in and thus which do not need to be seen in the
rest of the DFZ as they come out of a PA block.

> Can
> you suggest an alternative strategy for multihoming 800 ipv6 CDN sites
> which is less problematic than announcing 800 /48s out of a single /32?

See above about paying folks to get passed those filters.

And they could of course just use address space which is not meant for
de-aggregation...

I guess what the real thing is that the time is RIPE for a RIPE address
plan which is akin to ARIN's Micro Allocations.

Greets,
 Jeroen