DHCPv6 PD server

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Thu Aug 2 14:56:35 CEST 2012

Op 2-8-2012 14:37, Philipp Kern schreef:
> Seth,
>
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 09:41:13AM +0200, Seth Mos wrote:
>> In the pfSense project (FreeBSD) we use ISC dhcpd, we have a
>> seperate monitor process for the dhcpd6.leases.
>> https://github.com/bsdperimeter/pfsense-tools/tree/master/pfPorts/dhcpleases6
>
> yeah, I saw a bunch of scripts that monitored that file. I guess it's sort of
> guaranteed that dhcpd writes it in a timely fashion. But still that doesn't
> strike me as a sane solution. In my case it's OpenWrt, so it's Linux which has
> different interfaces. It's slightly odd that nobody thought of implementing
> that with a sane notification interface in the DHCPv6 server…

I sent a message on the ISC dhcpd list but got no response. My most
educated guess is that they do not have the resource to implement a
daemon that inserts routes into the routing table yet.

Note that this also applies to the dhcp6 relay. Which would need to
insert routes.

Because ISC dhcpcd is running under a unpriviledged user a 2nd daemon
would be required/signaled for the route insert/remove/update process.

I briefly looked at other servers but had pretty much the same
conclusion. This works because the leasefile is written when a new lease
is handed out, this also causes you lease per second performance of your
DHCP server to be limited by disk IO.

Regards,

Seth