Current Consensus on IPv6 Customer Allocation Size

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Aug 2 12:31:19 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012, Mark Blackman wrote:

> They're going to need a much bigger IPv6 allocation to give all ~2^26
> customers a /48 allocation, and they can't even quite give them all a
> /56 out of their current allocation.

It gets interesting if every mobile device should get a /48 as well, then
we're going to be spending a /14 on this (2^34 is 16G, 48-34=14.

Question, with growth and room for efficient routing, I'd imagine people
will need to start talking to their RIR to get larger subnets. Will the
RIRs accept these calculations and approve these sizes?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se