6to4 disabled by default on W7SP1

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Sep 1 15:57:56 CEST 2011

On 01/09/11 13:26, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> This was my impression until recently too; I thought that, by default,
>> AD members with "client" role had 6to4 disabled, with Teredo and ISATAP
>> enabled.
>
> It's the other way around, Teredo is disabled in "Enterprise" clients,
> 6to4 and ISATAP are enabled ("Enterprise" client meaning joined to an
> AD). You have to do specific configuration to enable Teredo in this
> environment.

Interesting. Is this documented somewhere or are you going on observation?

FYI we've recently explicitly disabled all 3 transition technologies
(Teredo, 6to4, ISATAP) via group policy at our site. Confusingly, the
output of "ipconfig /all" now shows:

6to4 adapter: completely absent from output
Teredo/ISATAP: show "Media disconnected"

...the latter of course not being very helpful at all.