Software licensing using IPv6 addresses?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Oct 17 23:22:45 CEST 2011

On 17/10/2011 23:15, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> Hopefully the people who attempted this with IPv4 have either gone out
> of business or moved on to something different.

This particular licensing model became NAT roadkill in the late 1990s.
There were a couple of die-hard companies who persisted in using it even
into the 2000s, but I haven't seen it used for years.

The threat of unique endpoint addressing might cause this stupidity to
re-emerge, although with dhcpv6 and temporary ipv6 addresses, I would
sincerely hope not.

Nick