Switches Juniper

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 19 18:41:44 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 09:58:51 PM Jack Bates wrote:

>  It seems
> to have stabilized better in later 10.x line, and the
> dual root is nice, plus the inclusion of ingress IPv6
> firewall filters.

As of Junos 10.4, RVI's on the EX platform do not support
'destination-address' match conditions for egress firewall
filters, whether for v4 or v6.

> Decades of working with IOS doesn't give me
> have much confidence in IOS XR, though.

They really aren't the same.

IOS XR is no Junos, but it certainly isn't IOS either.

Seeing is believing :-).

> You could be right on the CRS/ASR, though I've heard
> they've had a lot of problems with the ASR line.

We've deployed a couple of ASR9010's. They're pretty solid,
nothing to write home about.

The routing policy code still needs some improving, but
otherwise, not bad. The ASR9000 has suffered from a lack of
features in the past, but with the current iteration of IOS
XR, I think it's there. And the roadmap is looking really
solid.

> My current fun playing is actually with LFA, as I'd
> prefer to retain 50ms cutovers without having to put my
> normal ISP traffic on  MPLS, especially since
> implemented MPLS is not very IPv6 friendly...

I know a vendor that will be implementing LDPv6 and RSVPv6.
Keep your eyes open :-).

Mark.