Windows Vista and Crashing CPE

Marco Hogewoning mch-v6ops at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 5 10:50:10 CEST 2011

Had almost the same a year ago, with a beta image of a vendor who probably wish to stay anonymous. In that case it was OS X that was the trigger.

The strange thing was there was nothing wrong when we connected the client before the IPv6 connection was setup to the modem. So plugging in the ethernet before the DSL there was nothing wrong. If we did it the other way and attached the laptop after the DSL link was up and the modem had done it's configuration (DHPCv6-PD). It took about 5 seconds for the modem to crash and reboot itself.

It was easily repeatable and some packet sniffing showed the last packet that was send out by the host was a multicast join. Packet dumps and report went to the vendor and the issue got resolved. Never got reported back on what exactly happened. The multicast was the most likely culprit, but in those first 3 seconds of connecting there is a lot going on, so it could have been some other packet as well.

I guess this is why people should test things before deploying them to customers.

Marco