Choosing an open source DHCPv6 client

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun Oct 2 14:28:48 CEST 2011

Vikram Agrawal <vikram.agrawal at ipinfusion.com> writes:

> Hi,
>

> Was curious if anyone has figured out a way to
>
> convert this very simple wide-dhcpv6 config to ISC
>
> dhclient config:
>

> interface eth0
>
> {
>
>   send ia-pd 0;
>
>   script "/etc/wide-dhcpv6/dhcp6c-script";
>
> };
>

> id-assoc pd {
>
>         prefix-interface eth1 {
>
>                 sla-id 0;
>
>         };
>
> };

I don't think you currently can.  There is no way to set a specific IAID
as far as I know.  But then again, you probably don't need that?

The real missing part is how to map the delegated prefix to local
interface configuration.  I have no idea how that is supposed to be done
with the ISC client, but you can do it with an advanced enough script.

Running e.g "dhclient -P -sf <script> <interface>" will request an IA_PD
with an IAID based on your mac address (or maybe it's the link local
address? - doesn't really matter). Then it will call <script> with a
number of enviroment variables set.  Use a debug script to log'em all.

Among the interesting ones are "reason" (BOUND6, RENEW6) and
"new_ip6_prefix" (which of course will be set to your delegated
prefix).  Your script will then need to split this prefix into
appropriate /64s and configure your interfaces with those.

Bjørn