Geoff on IPv4 Exhaustion

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Nov 21 09:25:31 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 01:01:08PM +0900, Erik Kline wrote:

> The "hard outer shell, soft chewy center" model ends up being more
> like the Monty Python Crunchy Frog sketch anyway.  =)

Given the potential for the router becoming the chokepoint
(e.g. IPv6 address scans) I wonder whether the current
model (hardened systems with software firewall sitting
on a switch open to the hostile environment) will
become dominant.

And with ubiquitous multihoming each server could well become a
router, and deal with passing traffic as well as load-level
own connections.

I can see how distributing policy across such tangle of routers
could become a bitch, though.