Geoff on IPv4 Exhaustion

Jussi Peltola pelzi at pelzi.net
Sun Nov 20 05:02:13 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 12:32:08PM +0900, Erik Kline wrote:
> > You want to run a routing protocol on hosts? Are you going to add knobs
> > to DHCP to configure it? Or walk to every host when you want to
> > reconfigure the routing protocol?
>
> The hosts already run a [mini]routing protocol: ICMPv6.
>
> They can learn about multiple routers, and merge router preferences to
> select which router should be used for a default router.  They can
> detect the loss of a router and switch to using another router on
> link.  They can learn about multiple prefixes on link, and cope with
> when they go away.  They can even learn about non-default routes, via
> RIOs.

And people *will* want to configure all this with DHCP. Not being to
able to configure the things you need to when moving a machine to
another network defeats the purpose of DHCP. At a minimum, said routing
protocol would have to be turned on and off with DHCP.

ARP/ND/ICMP or RIP on hosts have been found problematic in practical use.
Would anyone run RIP on hosts instead of defining different settings
with DHCP? I do not need or want any more unauthenticated broadcast-type
protocols. DHCPv4 is of course also one of those, but more manageable,
having transactions between the server and each client instead of
broadcasts that are not usually logged or easy to troubleshoot after the
fact.