Geoff on IPv4 Exhaustion

Jussi Peltola pelzi at pelzi.net
Sun Nov 20 03:52:29 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 02:20:56AM +0000, Olipro wrote:
> In order to receive DHCPv6 configuration information, an RA *must* be
> sent indicating its presence; given that you can of course put the
> default route info in the RA, why do you also want routing
> configuration info in DHCP? if you need to have that sort of detail,
> what you need is a routing protocol.

You want to run a routing protocol on hosts? Are you going to add knobs
to DHCP to configure it? Or walk to every host when you want to
reconfigure the routing protocol?

If I want to centrally configure hosts' networking settings, what I need
is DHCP. I have yet to see a routing protocol that is remotely
configured, nor would I want to see that in a routing protocol.