need for DHCPv6 [Re: Geoff on IPv4 Exhaustion]

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu Nov 17 00:05:02 CET 2011

On 11/16/2011 14:56, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On networks I know, including the one I used to
> be responsible for so long ago that DHCP was a new feature, *exactly* the
> same team controls the routers, the DHCP servers and the DNS servers.

I think part of the difference lies in the size of the enterprise in
question, and part lies in the evolution of those roles in the "typical
enterprise IT shop" over time. The operator community (including me) has
been saying for over a decade that IPv6 needs DHCP parity with v4, in
part for this exact reason.

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."