RA+DHCPv6+DDNS in DCs

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 16 09:02:24 CET 2011

On 11/15/2011 10:17 PM, Ben Jencks wrote:

> We're a very small shop, but I'm going with straight-up SLAAC
> addressing. I'll add stateless DHCPv6 when I want to start using DNS

We have gone with mostly SLAAC until now, but are about to start
addressing servers statically.

The VM or "your MAC is fixed, or can be changed" argument unfortunately
doesn't hold for OSes like Windows 2008R2, which use a random number in
place of their MAC address for the SLAAC suffix, so if the server is
re-built, it re-addresses. You can certainly disable that, but the
effort required is actually greater than that required to configure a
"neat & tidy" static IPv6 address.

Cheers,
Phil