A10 AX fragmentation issue

Jim Kirby jkirby at datawareservices.com
Tue May 31 18:47:18 CEST 2011

I have been working with A10 since Mr. Roesen helpfully pointed out the fragmentation issue.  A10 have acknowledged a problem and promised a patch to 2.6.1 which is supposed to be released May 31 (as of this writing it has not yet been posted).  2.6 however is not yet production code.  From their site:  "Release 2.6.1 is a major release with extensive QA testing but has limited Beta testing. A10 recommends lab testing and field trial before deploying in wide-scale production."

My understanding is that when the AX receives an ICMP6 Type 2 (packet too big) under SLB-PT that the AX is responsible for packet fragmentation which is what appears to be not happening.  George's questions make me wonder, what is the appropriate behavior.  Should the load balancer fragment or should it send an ICMP Type 3 Code 4 (fragmentation needed) message back to the server?  Would the second option even work?

I captured packets on both sides of the AX; I saw the ICMP6 Type 2 packet and saw that full frames continued to be sent toward the client.  I did not see any ICMP packets forwarded to the real server but I was capturing only IPv6 so would not have caught the Type 3 Code 4 packet if one was generated.
--
Jim Kirby
Director of Engineering