Default security functions on an IPv6 CPE

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Tue May 31 14:46:39 CEST 2011

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 31 May 2011, Tim Chown wrote:

> When I last checked Windows7 behaviour it would by default generate
>
> a) a permanent address with a randomised host part, persistent across
> reboots on the same prefix.  One benefit if you put this address in the
> DNS is it would not change with a change of MAC address (e.g. hardware
> change).
>
> b) a temporary privacy address, which changes across reboots.  Unlike XP,
> the system does not appear to generate new privacy addresses on a daily
> basis

Apologies if this seems a naive question but do you have any idea which
address is used for outgoing connections?

Presumably (a) is aimed at incoming connections but both addresses will
accept connections incoming (assuming software listens and firewalls
allow).  Where an outgoing connection is opened though, does it always use
(b) as source IP or are things more complex than that?

Gavin