Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun May 29 00:41:45 CEST 2011

On 28 May 2011, at 16:06, Dyonisius Visser <visser at terena.org> wrote:

> Curious what this special hotfix is about, I went to
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533454/
> There it says:
>
> "The following Fix it solution will resolve the issue by configuring
> your computer to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6. By default, Windows
> prefers IPv6 over IPv4. This Fix it solution is temporary, to resolve
> issues on World IPv6 Day for affected Internet users. On June 10, 2011
> at 12:00AM, your computer will be configured to prefer IPv6 again after
> your next reboot."
>

> Is it me, or is this very lame?

It seems unlikely to me this would only be applied in the event of problems; and it's way better than the KB entry it replaces.

I may have misunderstood the eye chart - I thought it showed green for v4 *or* v6 connectivity working within a few (10?) seconds, so it will be all green even if you have IPv4 only, and thus if it's all green on the 8th it means adding v6 didn't break your v4?

There shouldn't be Teredo traffic unless the destination is IPv6 only, given v4 should be preferred to v6+Teredo?
Tim