Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Sat May 28 17:12:06 CEST 2011

On May 28, 2011, at 11:06 AM, Dyonisius Visser wrote:

> "The following Fix it solution will resolve the issue by configuring
> your computer to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6. By default, Windows
> prefers IPv6 over IPv4. This Fix it solution is temporary, to resolve
> issues on World IPv6 Day for affected Internet users. On June 10, 2011
> at 12:00AM, your computer will be configured to prefer IPv6 again after
> your next reboot."
>

> Is it me, or is this very lame?
> Sort of defeats the idea op an IPv6 day.

It's nice in that whole "I still have to use the internet for something even if the IT group toasted my internet by letting rogue RAs on a network without real IPv6 on it.

I wonder if our local hospital ever found the source of rogue RA on their patient WIFI network from a year or two ago. It wasn't handing out addresses, just a route. Totally hosed linux anytime you connected to it. I had to set up an ipv6tables rule to block all in order to use dual stacked sites there.

If I didn't know what I was doing, and running windows, that hotfix is certainly better than disabling ipv6 for good

-Paul