Lack of IPv6 traffic stats makes judging progress difficult

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue May 24 22:00:23 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 03:16:09PM -0400, chip wrote:
> As a note, if you're collecting traffic on 6500/7600's you can get
> this by running the 'show interfaces accounting' command.  But you can
> only use the outbound counters, the inbound counters do not include
> hardware switched packets.

Actually, it's worse - hardware switched IPv6 packets are counted on
the IP*v4* counters.

Cisco says it's a chip limitation...

(We noticed this when we had a backbone link that only transitted IPv6
packets, but the IPv4 counters increased happily... opened a TAC case,
TAC could reproduce it, engineering came back with "wontfix" and so
the documentation was adjusted...)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279