IPv6 NAT (NAT66) - Implementations?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon May 23 15:24:11 CEST 2011

Hi,

just to followup on this:

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 09:34:54PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> I'm wondering what implementations of IPv6-to-IPv6-NAT are out there,
> and what variant of NAT66 they implement - as in "NPT66 prefix translation"
> or "IPv4-style N->1 address-and-port translation".
..
> If there's interest, I'll send a summary to the list (when I receive
> enough suitable material to make this useful).

I have received a number of public replies, and a few more private
replies, but in the end it can be summarized to:

 - all the BSD unixes have IPv6 NAT in various variants in one of their
   various firewalls (pf, ipfilter)
    - pfsense 2.0 can use this to provide "NAT based dual-ISP multihoming"

 - Juniper Netscreen and SRX do IPv6 NAT, both N:N and N:1

 - various prototypes for Linux exist, but nothing "officially accepted
   into the main kernel" yet (as far as the comments went that I received)

 - at least one German CPE vendor told me they will do something like
   NPT66 "real soon now" because that's something they see a need for,
   to enable dual-ISP IPv6 multihoming without BGP.

(Please don't start a flame war now, I'm not endorsing - or condemning -
anything, just summarizing responses)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279