Default security functions on an IPv6 CPE

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu May 12 12:18:55 CEST 2011

On 5/12/2011 2:33 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
> [...]
>> and pwned in minutes.  None of the XP SP's forced
>> automatic updates, all allow the user to disable updates during
>> the conclusion of the application of the SP.  In many corporations
>> it was standard to do this because they had apps that would break
>> when newer SP's and patches were released.
>>
>> And we are seeing the exact same thing with Windows 7.  Just last week
>> Acros Security boasted they would be displaying multiple pwning
>> cracks at Hack in The Box in Amsterdam.  All of these were reported
>> a year ago and Microsoft has only got around to patching a handful
>> of them.  They all require phishing but that is only because the
>> phishing attacks are the only attacks the cracker community is
>> working on - because NAT killed e2e.  The cracker community is
>> like any other business, they invest time and money in developing
>> cracks, they need to get paid back, and the criminals that develop
>> the cracks work on vectors that are easiest to crack, and phishing
>> is easier than direct attacks because of lack of e2e.
>>
>> The issue here is can Windows 7 or other "modern" OS be pwned by a
>> direct attack with it's firewall on - the answer is, absolutely yes.
>> Any flaw discovered in the underlying OS that the firewall is running
>> on and your in.  Geeze people, the OS processes the packet before
>> handing it to the firewall running on the OS, so a flaw there and the
>> attacker is in before the firewall ever sees the packet.
>>
>> And once a flaw is discovered, only half of the Win hosts out there will
>> immediately update via automatic updates because the rest of them either
>> are set to download updates and store until user approval to apply, or
>> they are corporate, part of a directory, and updates have been
>> disabled because the corporation has a procedure for internally testing
>> ALL security patches before deployment for compatibility with existing
>> apps.
>>
>> And once malware gets into a corporate directory your through.  In an
>> AD all Windows hosts that are members are controlled by the root and
>> if you manage to root that server then you can instruct all of the
>> member hosts to shut off their firewalls, or you can replicate copies
>> of your virus to all of them.
>>
>> And why is all of this possible?
>>
>> It is possible because you must have critical mass of a homogeneous
>> group of hosts for any computer virus to work, or for a crack to
>> make economically worth developing, and Windows systems have that
>> critical mass.  No other system does.  MacOS certainly is
>> homogeneous but there's not enough out there.  And Linux is
>> heterogeneous because of all the different distros.  Even Android
>> is starting to bifurcate.
>>
>> And why is a $50 firewall more secure than a $500 Windows 7 system?
>> It is simple - because it's simpler!
>>

> You haven't really lifted the hood/bonnet on one by the looks of it.
> They're general purpose computers too, most commonly running general

Uh, yeah.  The news articles loved this but after investigation it
was shown that Netcomm had shipped their devices with remote telnet
access turned on and the default password of "admin".  Yep, remote
access from the WAN side.  Netcomm hushed it up and rushed out
firmware updates.  You can read about it here:

http://users.adam.com.au/bogaurd/PSYB0T.pdf

This did not mean the OS was exploitable or exploited.  The
configuration was exploitable.  And stupid.

> http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/36044

This one is more your typical exploit.  Although the interface to
the OS rather than the OS, was what was exploited.  It isn't surprising
it's 2wire since for some reason that company does not ever release
firmware updates, at least not for their DSL modems.  At least, not for
any of the 5-6 models I've dealt with.

The one thing that is interesting on this one though is that
it isn't actually running code on the router.  The main fear
seems to be the ability to send a bogus DNS server IP to hosts
behind the router.  Probably a great example of why not to put
your DHCP server on the modem.

I said more secure, not completely secure. ;-)

> Less than three weeks ago I was making half serious jokes about building
> a Stone SouperComputer out of a bunch of ADSL modems with dead ADSL
> ports.

I have lifted the hood and in fact have flashed dozens of dd-wrt
versions on linksys/netgear/motorola/belkin/dlink devices.  The
Broadcom-based ones I prefer, crappier chip than the atheros but
seem to sync with many more other radios.

And yes I was duly impressed with Psyb0t when it came out, although
dd-wrt folks disassembled it hours after it was announced and found
most of it was news hype.

But the big problem from a virus POV with the things is you have a
lot of different router models but even the largest market share
doesn't hold a candle to the number of Windows systems out there.
You need critical mass for it to work.  You can exploit these just
like you can exploit a MacOS X box but it's more a laboratory
curiosity thing than really usable in the wild.

Ted