Question Re: best practices

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon May 9 20:40:25 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 09:38:46AM -0700, Austin Schutz wrote:
> Given: A small set ipv6 only network running various protocols, call
> this the "IPv6 only server network", and a large legacy client IPv4
> network, call this, say, "The Internet".

What we plan is to "avoid having to answer that question" - that is:
we expect to run our servers dual-stack for a long while to come.

Server networks tend to burn lots less IP addresses than client networks
(if you only dual-stack the "internet face" of the platform, not the
tens or hundreds of backend machines behind the load-balancer), so we
assume that this will work out.

NAT64/DNS64 isn't actually going to help much here, if the client network
is IPv4 and the server doesn't have IPv4 available - the SSL service
has to be given an IPv4 address, be it proxy or IPv4-side-of-NAT64, and
if you have none, you can't solve this without the help of an intermediary
that's dual-stacked...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279