IPv6 equivalent to DHCP Option 82 for geolocating customer MACs to certain ports of Multi-port Layer 2 demarcation devices

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon May 9 10:54:32 CEST 2011

On 09/05/2011 06:44, Martin Millnert wrote:
> From a broadband access perspective, that would become each cust [link]
> in its own broadcast domain. Which is a desirable design goal IMO.
>    Anything else, including various forms of filters, are essentially
> various forms of hacks (band-aids applied after the problem is created
> to mitigate the problem), until there is universal support for SeND,
> etc.

Really, what we need is RA guard, DHCPv6 snooping and IPv6 neighbour
inspection, just like we use DHCP snooping and DAI in the ipv4 world.
These snooping protocols provide a 99% fix for operators' requirements.

SEND will never take off because it requires certificates.  I.e. it's too
complicated for my mother to install on her DSL link.

Nick