6PE (was: Re: Virtual hosting provider Linode announces v6 support)

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu May 5 00:05:25 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 08:50:02AM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> We are all overlay networks, be it over some IEEE, ITU or other
> transport, and ultimately an overlay network over the layer-1
> fibers in the ground.  Each time you create an opaque tunnel you
> make it harder to diagnose what is wrong.  Trying to figure out
> who is dropping your GRE or IPIP or other traffic can be quite
> hard.

How do you do fancy traffic engineering and employ things like MPLS fast
reroute etc. without 6PE?

Yes, I have a strong dislike of 6PE too, especially due to the "AFI
break" in 6PE BGP NEXT_HOPs (mapped addresses). I'm nagging vendors
since... uhhh... many years to get proper MPLS control plane, but the
standard response is the usual "no customer demand".

And we're also still lacking knobs to disable TTL propagation onto MPLS
labels just for 6PE traffic...

Best regards,
Daniel