Static vs SLAAC - Static expected to be preferred?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed May 4 07:38:52 CEST 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:

> Ok, once more:
>
> I've just checked.  Disabling Autoconf can be done with
>
> Debian Sarge:
>  In /etc/sysctl.conf
>    net.ipv6.conf.{default|all|<ifname>}.accept_ra=0
>      disables all autoconfiguration
>    net.ipv6.conf.default.autoconf=0
>      disables address autoconfiguration but not default router
>      cconfiguration

It still works. it should be noted though that I had to:

net.ipv6.conf.default.accept_ra=0
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.accept_ra=0
net.ipv6.conf.eth1.accept_ra=0
net.ipv6.conf.eth2.accept_ra=0
net.ipv6.conf.eth3.accept_ra=0
net.ipv6.conf.eth4.accept_ra=0

because sysctl.conf seems to be run after the interface comes up so
usually my box comes up with a EUI64 address anyway (in addition to my
static one), that I have to remove (manually since I'm too lazy to script
it and I reboot seldom).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se