Virtual hosting provider Linode announces v6 support

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed May 4 07:35:05 CEST 2011

On 5/3/11 6:15 PM, Cameron Byrne wrote:

> Kudos indeed.  Let's not make perfect the enemy of good.

It's an acceptable first step, but it still falls short for many who are
not new to IPv6. I was honestly initially excited to see that maybe
there would be someplace I can put a stupid simple remote monitoring
thing for my network, but was quickly disappointed because:

1) I'd want probably two IPv6 addresses. Not 2^64, but a simple two, as
in address #1 and address #2.

2) Charging for additional IPv6 addresses. I strongly believe that *at
this point* we need to encourage IPv6 use. I do not feel that charging
extra for IPv6 helps adoption, and in fact may hinder it because there
is no quantifiable benefit to the extra cost. I really, really don't
want to encourage providers to charge extra for IPv6.

~Seth