draft-ietf-6man-prefixlen-p2p-01 clarification

Miya Kohno mkohno at juniper.net
Wed Mar 23 17:58:25 CET 2011

Hi Michael,

> But if subnet-router anycast is turned of, should that matter?

As for the actual behavior, that should not be a matter.
It's for the sake of double check.

> RFC 4291 only states that the zeroth host bits
> *of a given prefixlen* not be used (i.e. the last 128-prefixlen bits
> cannot be zero).

Yes, but in the section 2.5.4, it says:
 All Global Unicast addresses other than those that start with binary
 000 have a 64-bit interface ID field

So some stereotyped implementations could automatically think that the
prefixlen should be 64 bit and so all zeros in the rightmost 64 bits
should mean subnet-router anycast. I think it's not likely, but just to
be safe.

Hope this clarifies.

Miya

Subnet-
>        Router anycast address [RFC4291].
>

> Okay, so I understand the point about the routers must turn off
> subnet-router anycast; otherwise /127s could never be used.  However,
it
> appears that the second paragraph is trying to recommend what prefix
the
> operator assigns as a /127 point-to-point link.  If that's the case,
> then it further seems that "a)" requires that I not assign the zeroth
> /127 prefix carved out of a /64.  But if subnet-router anycast is
turned
> of, should that matter?  RFC 4291 only states that the zeroth host
bits
> *of a given prefixlen* not be used (i.e. the last 128-prefixlen bits
> cannot be zero).  Of course, if that's the case, then no /127 would
> work, which is why we need section 6 of the draft as quoted above.  So
> is it really the case that we can't assign the zeroth /127 out of a
> given /64?
>
> This certainly doesn't matter from an addressing point of view, as
there
> are way too many /127s in a /64 for this to be a remote worry.
However,