IPv6 dynamic DNS services?

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Wed Mar 16 17:50:03 CET 2011

On 03/16/2011 04:07 AM, S.P.Zeidler wrote:
> Thus wrote Daniel Roesen (dr at cluenet.de):
>
> [...]
>> Implementing a DNS UPDATE + TSIG client is a bigger effort than
>> just the simple HTTP interfaces currently being used which just needs
>> a slight modification.
>
> So the available standard is too heavy-weight, and the useful thing would
> be to standardize the http update mechanism, starting with looking at
> the mechanisms that are being used in the wild now. :)

  Geez, that seems downright reasonable.  I can't claim to have been
involved in any standard-drafting processes, but I'll outline the "API"
(if you could even call it that) on my dyndns CGI:

- Client hits /dyn (which is ScriptAlias'd to the actual CGI)
- Client can use GET or POST (I'm using perl's CGI module for flexibility)
- CGI checks the following CGI variables for the "username": user,
username, host, hostname
- CGI checks the following CGI variables for the "password": pw, pass,
password
- CGI checks for an 'ip' CGI variable, using that instead of REMOTE_ADDR
- "username" to FQDN association is on the backend (manually managed for
now)
- Depending on the status of the dual_stack flag in the backend
database, the update will either delete the existing A/AAAA record(s),
or replace only the relevant record type (outside the scope of the
update mechanism, but maybe shouldn't be)

  Granted, I wrote my CGI to be flexible, so if different parameters get
defined by a published standard, I can almost certainly adapt to adhere
to it.

      Jima