IPv6 dynamic DNS services?

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Mar 15 20:47:05 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 07:12:04PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 12:31:20AM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>>> Take the chance and ask for the RFC way;-)
>>
>> Where's the business case?
>
> Where's the business case in caring about standards for any IPv6
> implementation or SMTP or DNS or Ethernet in general at all?  Really,
> proprietry implementions if lucky can make one so much more money.
> But if you ask that question or if a vendor asks that question
> shouldn't someone say "Thank you" and leave the questioner puzzled
> on the answer?

It's simple:

The CPEs already have a working dynamic DNS mechanism. There are
multiple services (free+commercial) offering the server part of that.

Can you show us the free+commercial services for dynamic DNS via in-band
(DNS UPDATE + TSIG, don't forget authentication!)? Also keep in mind
that this usually operates in a single DNS domain so you need per-RR
authorization controls (BIND e.g. doesn't have that as far as I'm aware
- I might be wrong). As there are no mass market residential CPE
clients out there that could send DNS UPDATEs with TSIG etc., I doubt
such services exist for the residential mass market.

And then please show the customer demand for more than what there is
today. Implementing a DNS UPDATE + TSIG client is a bigger effort than
just the simple HTTP interfaces currently being used which just needs
a slight modification. Can you show added revenue on the CPE equipment
maker's side that justifies spent in implementing, testing and maintaining
a complete new method for sending and authenticating updates?

Don't get me wrong: I'm using DNS UPDATE with TSIG in my private life as
well and would wish my home WAN router would support it too. Currently,
I'm using a cronjob on the home server which polls the router via SNMP
to fetch WAN IP address and then sends the DNS UPDATE to my auth
nameserver primary. I would love the router to do that himself. I just
have zero argument to push vendors to implement that. Cost/benefit
doesn't work out, unless you can come up with a business case - I
can't (didn't even try too hard, given that we have zero known requests
for that functionality by paying customers).

- no measurably relevant amount of customers asking for that
- no mass(!) market service available for the server component

==> no business case for the ISP to provide that functionality
 ==> no reason to make it a hard requirement for CPE vendors to deliver
  ==> no business case for the CPE vendor

Handwaving unfortunately doesn't help.

Best regards,
Daniel