Unwanted RA on LAN

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Wed Mar 9 09:05:26 CET 2011

May I add that having your official router sending RA with a high priority will already help.

If using Cisco switches, then you can use an Port ACL or even the RA guard (both available on most recent switches with the software release of Summer 2010).

interface FastEthernet3/13

  switchport mode access

  ipv6 traffic-filter ACCESS_PORT in

  access-group mode prefer port

ipv6 access-list ACCESS_PORT

    remark Block all traffic DHCP server -> client

    deny udp any eq 547 any eq 546

    remark Block Router Advertisements

    deny icmp any any router-advertisement

    permit any any

or

interface FastEthernet3/13

  switchport mode access

  ipv6 nd raguard

  access-group mode prefer port

Hope this helps (I am sure that other vendor switches can achieve the same function)

-éric