Curious choices made by Cisco/Tandberg

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Thu Mar 3 17:44:54 CET 2011

Le 11-03-03 11:38, Hannigan, Martin a écrit :
>>>              ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> Yes, that's right, you can have IPv6, but only if you're willing to forego
>>> IPv4. On the one hand, I want to applaud their optimism. But I'm too stunned
>>> by the cluelessness. . .
>>
>> Almost the same at Polycom. Your system can registered either via IPv4
>> or via IPv6.  Exclusive OR!
>>

> I wouldn't be too fast to assume that this is lack of clue. I would guess
> that it's a processor limit = cost. Why would you need to dual stack your
> phone regardless?

- another phone vendor also does either v4 or v6.
- we have helped phone manufacturers and PBX for porting to IPv6.
- the main reason for the exclusive OR was simplicity for end users: as
plug and play as possible, simpler scenarios (don't need to tackle
complex IPv4-IPv6 scenarios), given the fact that the typical deployment
scenario is the phone only talks to the PBX and using a single IP is
what is needed.
- not related to processor or memory constraints.
- I'm not trying to excuse anyone, because they shall be at the end
really support dual-stack, but I'm giving some context.

Regards, Marc.

--
=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca