[ipv6-ops] Experiences with IPv6 peering?

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Wed Mar 2 23:05:51 CET 2011

As you may only be familiar with us from our IPv6 network, many people
do not realize that Hurricane Electric operates a global Internet
backbone extending from Stockholm to Singapore.

We have approximately 6000 BGP sessions with 1650 different IPv4
networks in Europe, North America, and Asia.  We are present at
approximately 50 different exchange points and announce over 22,000 IPv4
customer prefixes.  Our strategy is one of heavy interconnection for the
purpose of making bits flow most directly.  We operate a transit
network; the value of our network is the networks that we connect to.

Here are our IPv4 stats:

Ranked 6th globally by Peering (IPv4) on Fixed Orbit
http://fixedorbit.com/stats.htm

Ranked 8th globally by "customer cone size" (IPv4) on Caida
http://as-rank.caida.org/

Our IPv4 network is still growing with new core router locations coming
online regularly.

So regarding the "cone" comment...  We are not only expecting to grow
our IPv4 cone in the upcoming year, we are expecting that our IPv6 cone
will eventually be larger than our IPv4 cone.  Our normal customers are
multihomed networks that run both IPv4 and IPv6.

For completeness, our IPv6 stats:

1st largest IPv6 network globally by number of networks connected
1st largest IPv6 network by number of customer prefixes announced
http://bgp.he.net/report/peers

(Independent confirmation of the number of IPv6 adjacencies)
http://bgp.potaroo.net/v6/as6447/bgp-as-adj.txt

We were the first backbone in the world to connect 300 IPv6 networks:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20081211006445/en/Hurricane-Electric-Achieves-IPv6-Milestone

We were the first backbone in the world to connect 1000 IPv6 networks:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hurricane-electric-becomes-first-internet-backbone-in-the-world-to-connect-to-1000-ipv6-networks-2010-10-27

We now connect over 1200 IPv6 networks and rising daily.

Mike.
ps.  Yes, I agree regarding your Popcorn comment.