Platform feature development for Cisco 7200 has ended, meaning open IPv6-related features will not be performed

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Jun 21 10:36:31 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:44:25AM +0200, Mark Townsley wrote:
> The ASR1K does a nice job of L2TP. SFR is using it for getting IPv6 to subscribers now:

I'm sure the ASR1k is a nice platform.  The problem here is not so much
the platform as such, but the cross-platform in-fighting inside Cisco,
and decisions based mostly on "maximizing revenue" reasons and less on
technical sanity.

(Interesting enough, even the stock market doesn't think that this
strategy is sane)

Now the interesting question is: will the ASR1k do a better job than
a off-the-shelf PC for 1/10 the money, with some of the money saved
invested into getting one of the open source L2TP packages modified
to perfectly fit our needs?  And no licensing and mandatory support
contracts to be able to report bugs and limited routing table size
problems to come with it?

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279