Platform feature development for Cisco 7200 has ended, meaning open IPv6-related features will not be performed

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Jun 21 09:05:30 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 05:09:25PM -0500, Frank Bulk wrote:
> Yes, SRE3 does support DHCPv6-PD with automatic route insertion.

Hooray for weird BU specific releases.

> This abandonment won't be forgotten at product selection time.  What's
> another BRAS platform worth looking at?

I'm seriously tempted to grow our own next time - get a decent quad-core
server with 4G RAM and a 10G NIC, put Linux or FreeBSD on it, and run
something like www.openl2tp.org[1] on top of it...  real software modularity,
full multi-processor support, yadda yadda...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

[1]: Last time I researched this, there were a number of competing L2TP
implementations for Linux, a fair number of them with commercial support
to back it - this time, I only found OpenL2TP, but I only googled for
5 minutes or so, so I might have missed others

--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279