Youtube over IPv6 for non-whitelist users?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Mon Jun 20 12:47:45 CEST 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:39:25 +0200
Harald Firing Karlsen <maillist at thelan.no> wrote:

> On 20.06.2011 12:20, Mark Smith wrote:
> > I'm currently on the end of a 6to4 tunnel and I've configured my Linux
> > box to prefer tunnelled IPv6 over native IPv4, and I'm in the asia
> > pacific. I've had no issues what so ever with the youtube content being
> > delivered over IPv6, including 1080p videos.
> >
> > Here's quite a spectacular 1080p video to test with.
> >
> > http://youtu.be/Cj6ho1-G6tw?hd=1
> I get the same issue with this video now. 720p loads very slow and the
> video lags while 1080p loads fast and the movie loads within a few seconds.
> The 720p video loads from 2a00:1450:4005:1::23 and the 1080p video loads
> from 2a00:1450:4005:1::20.

Actually, I might not be right about not having problems. I seem to
default to 240 or 360p, and since I then switch it straight to the
highest resolution possible, usually 480 or 1080, have assumed anything
in between is ok. Since I figured 1080p is likely to be the worst, I've
always skipped over the 720p version when it has been available.

> I run native IPv6 and we got a direct peering link with Google.
>
> Cool video by the way. Takes some time, dedication and guts to pull that
> off. :-)

I'll say!