Toward more sensible whitelisting

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Tue Jun 14 03:54:32 CEST 2011

Separate namespaces (e.g., "ipv6.example.com") are bad.  That user,
who is using the IPv6 namespace, will eventually share content
via email (cutting and pasting the URL) or on a social network via
a "share on <social_network>" button.

But that shared content won't work with the other 99.mumble% of the
Internet population, who are IPv4 only.  People will complain.  Users
will be unhappy, including the IPv6-friendly user that opted into the
IPv6 website in the first place.   And IPv6 will be blamed -- afterall,
"ipv6" name will be right there in the URL (or "ip6", or whatever
that website chose).

-d