Facebook over IPv6

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Jun 13 11:07:07 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 07:53:45PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> For example, if I get a request from foo.com for an AAAA record for
> www.some-domain.com that arrives over IPv4 when I have a v6 server in
> whois, I might treat that request differently than a request that
> arrives via v6 for the same resource.  The reason is that if the request
[..]

This idea keeps coming up again and again, and there still is no evidence
that the protocol that a client's resolver uses to reach an authoritative
DNS server has *ANY* relationship whatsoever to the protocol that the
client itself might prefer to use to reach the server.

All our clients use our (ISP's) recursive resolver, and these resolvers
are fully dual stacked, both to the client and to the server.

Now, if the client is fully v6 capable, asks our recursor over v6, and
the recursor decides to send the query via v4 to your authoritative
server (for whatever reason), our v6-enabled client won't see your
v6-enabled server.  Strikes me as "not what you want to achieve".

Vice versa, if we have a v4-only client that uses our recursor, and
the recursor sends the query over v6 to you - what have you learned
about the client's capabilities?  Nothing.

This is a bad idea, because it completely neglects that there are
recursive servers in between that have a different set of capabilities
*and problems* than the clients using them.

The idea doesn't get any better by being brought up at least once a
month somewhere.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279