Facebook over IPv6

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Sat Jun 11 21:18:34 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 11:36:37AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> If THEY want ME to do something to HELP THEM, then they need to
> have requirements that make sense TO ME.

They don't want that.

They are offering Google-over-IPv6 to you, because *you* might want that.

[..]
> The point isn't how easy it may be to comply.  The point is that
> Google has no legal or moral right to do this.

You're completely missing the point.  Google over IPv6 is something
that some people want (like me), and the numbers Google had before
IPv6 day said "if we do this for everbody, too many users will have
problems, wo we don't".

So they are offering this under certain conditions to make sure that
*your* users do not run into problems accessing Google.  (Of course
that's in their own interest, but still).

If you don't want that, Google over IPv4 works, and nobody is forcing
you to do anything.

[..]
> If they have a published research paper that shows that they actually
> did the work to survey this, I would say they have a point.

They do.

> If they turn off the whitelist for a week and hell breaks loose and
> they document this then I would say they have a point.

That's what they did at IPv6 day: turn on IPv6 for everbody.  Now I'm
sure they are evaluating the data to see what the consequences could
be - turn it on for everbody, keep whitelisting, do something else.

> But they decided this would be a problem before any research.  Thus
> they have no leg to stand on.

I'm not exactly sure what you did into your coffee this morning, but it
wasn't good for you.  Lorenzo and Erik *did* the research, came to a
conclusion, and presented that at various conferences - and as a way
*forward* (instead of just not doing IPv6 at all, then) they have started
the whitelisting project.

> Fortunately, most content providers on the Internet are not
> sophisticated enough or have deep enough pockets to engage in these
> shenanigans.  They will end up doing it the normal way and just
> turning on IPv6.  And if Google continues this whitelisting nonsense
> then eventually I'll just tell people to use Bing.

Like Bing had any IPv6 over the last few years...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279