Philosophical question for IPv6 Day

Merike Kaeo merike at doubleshotsecurity.com
Thu Jun 9 02:54:22 CEST 2011

On Jun 8, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2011, at 8:24 PM, Erik Kline wrote:
>
>> On 8 June 2011 17:21, Bill Owens <owens at nysernet.org> wrote:
>>> Which is better, at this stage of IPv6 deployment and transition:
>>>
>>> - a fully dual-stacked website, functional for a v6-only client without resorting to v4, and located at a separate URL (www.ipv6, etc.)
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> - a v6-accessible skeleton at the main URL (www) that isn't functional by itself, and forces the client to use v4 to fetch a substantial amount of the content.
>>>
>>> Bill.
>>>
>>> (I vote for the first choice, since I don't think the second one really proves anything - it doesn't drive backbone traffic, doesn't reveal path problems, etc.)
>>>

>> The second one.  It might seem cheesey, but it can be steadily
>> refactored and improved for more IPv6 piece by piece and gains real
>> IPv6 users.  Nobody uses alternate domainnames.
>
> I would say +1 on this as well.
>
> I've had my systems and our corporate sites have been dual-stacked for years but we're not doing mass-consumer interaction (Eg: revenue from selling ad space, where views and click-through matter).

Another +1 for second one. Reality is that websites have other interactions which, like it or not, will take time to move to v6.  I was testing things at home using both a v6-only network setup and dual-stack. [plus my v6 only T-Mobile phone].  While interesting to note differences in v6-only home network and uncovering things that may still be issues  I don't think I'm the normal user. [I have two DSLs at home and my v6 only network is due to having an ISP do eBGP with me where I am using a private AS]

I'm mildly wondering when I can try and be v6-only for real at home :)

As an aside I have 2 home cameras, each supporting IPv6.  Part of my v6 playground.  Sadly, both require v4 for initial configuration and monitoring.  Huh.  Panasonic and Axis.  These are professional quality devices.....not yet so professional via v6 unfortunately.

However, uncovering all the stuff needing to get fixed gets them fixed :)  So kuddos to all who lead the v6 day effort...

- merike