How to advertise IPV6 prefixs over IPV4 BGP Session

Fernando Garcia fernando at cutre.net
Wed Jun 8 18:20:32 CEST 2011

I will recommend what everyone else is telling you: establish a new bgp session with IPv6 address neighbors.

But, it can be make over a IPv4 neighbor. I made it as a practice in a training (basically to explain why is not a good idea).

If you do it, you must take two things into account:

1) you must use a route-map to set the next-hop of announced prefixes to you IPv6 address of the link
2) on EBGP this set next-hop is like an extra hop so you must make it ebgp-multihop

On Cisco is something like this:

router bgp 65400
no bgp default ipv4-unicast
neighbor 192.0.2.2 remote-as 65400
!
 address-family ipv6
neighbor 192.0.2.2 activate
network 2001:db8::/32
route-map NH out
!
route-map NH permit 10
 set ipv6 next-hop 2001:DB8:2::1

Hope this helps

El 08/06/2011, a las 16:21, Herlianto escribió:

> Dear All,
>
> I need your advice how to advertise iPV6 prefixs over IPV4 bgp Session.
>
> Just now, Akamai team ask to advertise IPV6 prefixs that will be used for Woorld IPV6 day over Existing IPV4 BGP Session.
>
> Thanks for your sharing.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> --
>

> _H e r l y_

Estos son mis principios. Si no le gustan tengo otros.
Groucho Marx