Facebook and IPv6 Day

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Wed Jun 8 16:07:04 CEST 2011

I walked over to our IPv6-only workstation this morning and pulled up www.facebook.com, hoping that it would finally be able to see the Facebook website that we all know and love. Sadly, it gets the same fragment of HTML that was previously being served at www.v6.facebook.com, and is therefore still not usable.

I understand from the various PR sources that Facebook was one of the original group for IPv6 Day, and certainly they're listed in the top of the participating websites. This isn't really an IPv6 website, though; it's an IPv6 entry page, and an IPv4 website without even any translation. For lack of a better term, I'd call it sixwashing ;) Anybody know whether they're planning a more serious effort at some point in the future?

Bill.