Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day

Daniel G. Kluge dkluge at acm.org
Sun Jun 5 23:04:17 CEST 2011

Am 02.06.2011 um 11:04 schrieb Daniel Roesen:

> On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 09:53:55AM -0700, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>> Both AfriNIC and ipv6.juniper.net are both working for me from work.
>>
>> traceroute to ipv6.juniper.net (2620:103:c003::10), 30 hops max, 40 byte
>> packets
>
> The problem with ipv6.juniper.net is a PMTUD problem, not general
> reachability problem...

That is actually a matter of where you are. ipv6.juniper.net is unreachable now from my ipv6 tunnel, due to a missing route at the provider side. But yes a couple of days ago I could verify as well, that the site is PMTUD impaired.

Similarly www.verisigninc.com was pointing to 2620:103:c003::10 also with a PMTUD problem, which gives you a very strange interaction: The first redirect [1] goes through, but the actual get of the page [2] is stuck forever.

Is it so hard for this companies to get IPv6 right? I mean, one would expect them to have some sort of minimal knowledge about these internet protocols, given what business they're in.

Or are there just way too many IWFs [3] running rampant in the corporate networking teams?

But it seems to be kind of typical, my NAS has decent IPv6 support, so does my new laser-printer, just the WiFi-Router from Netgear has a retarded IPv6 implementation.

Greets,
-daniel
[1] curl -v6gH 'Host: www.verisigninc.com' 'http://[2620:74:13:3000::40]/'
[2] curl -v6gH 'Host: www.verisigninc.com' 'http://[2620:74:13:3000::40]/en_US/index.xhtml'
[3] IWF: Idiot with firewall "ICMP is baaaaaad, filter all ICMP, it is  baaaaaad"